One of the many problems that can occur in electrical generators’ operations is excitation winding shorted turn. Shorted-turns are the result of failed insulation between individual windings. As generator’s age progresses, problems with shorted turns are more likely to appear.
The impact on the generator in this case ranges from the absence of any problem and all the way to the severe ones like abnormal vibration, load limits, higher operating temperatures and forced outages.
The magnitude of generator running with shorted-turns depends on location and number of shorted turns. KONČAR Winding fault detection (WFD) instrument measures air-gap magnetic flux waveform to detect rotor winding shorted turns. Although complex calculations are built in the system, the instrument is easy to use and the relevant data is displayed so it can be easily interpreted by machine operators. Because of its flexibility the system can be used effectively both with hydro and turbo generators.
- applicable to hydro and turbo generators
- elimination of insulation damages that significantly saves financial resources
- short payback period
- early detection of shorted turns in generator excitation windings
- intuitive and simple controls
- on-line and on-site analysis
- can be used with multiple machines on one site
- Architecture: High speed data acquisition unit with the real time controller and local visualitzation
- Inputs and outputs: Voltage inputs (for magnetic flux and key phasor instrument); ethernet interface
- Digital outputs: Local client and remote application
- Data logging: Database for long-term events and data logging
- Supported protocols: Modbus, EtherCAT
- Power supply: 100 V AC – 240 V AC, 24 V DC
- Design: Case for the portable version, painted steel IP54 for permanent installation
- Operating temperature: 0°C to + 65°C
- Standards compliance: EMC immunity/emission (EN 61000-6-2/EN 61000-6-4); Vibration/shock resistance (EN 60068-2-6/EN 60068-2-27/29)